Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Travel Tuesday - A Hike In Aruba - by Lady

Aruba, the A in the ABC islands, was our first port of call. It is also southern most island in the Caribbean we have visited. This former Dutch island is now an autonomous, self-governing constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. This tiny island is home to about 116 000 people. Tourism is the number one industry.

We did an off ship tour for this stop. After dropping a group going kayaking off, the Man and our guide went to Arikok National Park for a hike. Our guide was great and he told us the name of all the plants and birds etc. Most of which I don't remember. However, this doesn't subtract from my appreciation of the beauty of the nature we saw while walking for a couple of hours.



Cactus


This is how I spent most of the hike, well behind, stopping to enjoy and snap pictures.

Not the best place to stop!


This is a Shoco - a burrowing owl only found in Aruba. They are the National Symbol and are currently endangered. 

A former place they smelted gold

In the wild!

A blue lizard





Spot the butterfly


After the hike, we went back to where we had left the kayakers and I joined them for snorkelling , while Man waded in the water. (He had a very bad experience snorkelling and now doesn't go. When I joined this group, I didn't know we were swimming a kilometre out to the reef. I can't remember the last time I swam that far, but I did it and was rewarded by seeing many tropical fish and an octopus. 

Near where I snorkelled

After all this adventure, we went off to lunch before returning to the ship. 


For Rosy and Sunny's Mom

It was a great first port - hot but fun! Next week we will visit the C in the ABC islands!

Me and Man - likely talking about how windy it was!


10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Ooohh.. beautiful! Ma Nature can surely bring us treasures to see. And I envy you that snorkelling session! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the opposite of Yamini and don’t envy you guys are going I never learn to swim because I won’t put my face in the water so no snorkeling for me. But I do love the hiking part and that owl is just stunning I zoomed in real close and he has such beautiful markings that would’ve been the highlight of my day and those beautiful cactus and I too would’ve been far behind stopping every 20 seconds to snap photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clapping with delight at ever single time to stop to snap such beautiful photos.
    Thank you for stopping and thank Man and Guide for waiting patiently.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting place... we love the owl and a blue lizard? wow!!! and the lighthouse has something so special... it looks proud somehow like the king ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. We never would have thought an island in the Carribean would have so many desert plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful hike - thanks to Lady and Man for letting us tag along. The burrowing owl is our absolute favourite, but all the photos are interesting. And Gail is super impressed that Lady swam a kilometre out to the reef!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beauty to see and the blue lizard is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful island...and a lovely lighthouse!
    xoxo,
    Sunny & Rosy(and Mama)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never seen cactus in wild.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!