Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Feature - Training Thursday

In an attempt to make myself more accountable with spending time teaching my dogs new tricks, I thought I would make a feature on the blog called "Training Thursday". Here I will feature our progress or lack there of.

This week was an interesting one which may have scarred poor Phod for life. I decided I wanted to do some clicker training (known as TAG - teaching through acoustical guidance in my line for work). I got out my clicker and started with Phod. Turns out poor Phod is TERRIFIED of the clicker. He acted like I was going to beat him. Perhaps a clicker was tried in his last home or it reminds him of something horrible that happened. He ran and hid. Hailey is not scared of it and in fact likes it, but it so stresses Phod out right now, we have put the clicker on hold.

The tricks we are working on:

Take it
Receptive Id of Dish (for Hailey only as this trick also terrifies Phod. I show him running to hide in one of the videos).

Pardon the video quality, I did this on my phone.

Video 1:  This is Hailey receptively identifying her dish in a visual field of 1. You will see Phod hiding.

Video 2: Hailey's Take it

Video 3: An outtake. This is what happens when I don't do training in the bedroom with one dog! 




18 comments:

  1. Love agility activities.. Xeti don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mol mol mol Phod is quicker than greased lightning!!
    I watched the last one several times.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well at least Phod got in on the action in the end...LOL. Clever Lee. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denny too is terrified of the clicker - I have never used one in training any of my dogs - just like verbal and hand commands. I taught Reilly sign language for when we use to do pets as therapy at a deaf school - the kids loved loved loved him (and being able to tell him what to do )

    Oh - thanks for reminding me I forgot to put a link on my post to our store :) :) it is http://cowspotdogs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mommy had one of those clickers but I never listened to it BOL xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with training. I think interactive activities of any kind are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE don't like the Clicker thingy either, Phod.

    OMD you want a CLEAN JOKE do you? Here is one ..
    Did you hear about the Dachshund that fell in the muddy hole?
    He licked himself clean. BaaaaaaaWaaaah.

    THIS is gonna be a fun thingy for Thursdays. THANKS fur thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for a new blog feature! These things can sometimes take some time - especially if POSSIBLY "the evil clicker" was a BAD thing in a previous home. My sister's dog is VERY afraid of leashes...she was a rescue pup. Who knows.....

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes mom gives me a command and Stanley does the command. Did you "load" the clicker for Phod? If you "load" it using a high value treat that might get rid of some of the fear.

    Your Pals Who Are Always Getting Clicked,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photo bombing Phod!!! Great!

    Lee you're doing very well. We're still at the stay stage. One of us always breaks because we think we'll miss out on the treat.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww...good job. Poor Phod, hope he can overcome the clicker issue

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a excellent idea to keep you motivated. You should turn this into a blog hop so everyone starts getting and staying motivated, that would be fun XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks complicated. Glad I'm a cat and untrainable.

    Purrs,
    Nissy

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Lily does nutty abilities on her own. Maybe we will do trainings too
    Snorts,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job, keep up the good work!!

    wags
    Jazzi and Addi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no poor Phoddy! I've watched a lot of videos of rat training, where they also use clickers. But most people don't actually use clickers and make a noise with their tongue instead. Maybe Phoddy could use a different sound.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!