Sunday, August 18, 2013

Black and White Sunday - My poor girl



Hailey did NOT have a good time at the party. It was too scary to have all those people and particularly one child over. She was completely freaked out and would not stop barking for like the first 2 hours. She ended up wearing her thundershirt in the crate. Finally when the "strangers" left and it was only family left (her people) she couldn't settle because there were fireworks (the joys of living at a lake in the summer). In a nutshell, she spent from 3 pm until after 11 pm terrified.

It is so heartbreaking to see her like this. Especially when you compare her behaviour to Zaphod and Emma's (Emma was a guest at the party). They are just walking around, getting treats and pets from everyone. They are easy to have. Meanwhile Hailey is barking at the top of her lungs, scaring people.

One of the guests at the party was our friend and vet Woody. [Aside: He wants to test Nin's thyroid so we will do that this week]. He wants us either to medicate Hailey or to take her to see a  behaviourist. I totally trust Woody's opinion (we have been friends for nearly 20 years) and I know he wouldn't recommend something she didn't need. We just have to decide if we just start with the meds or if we do the whole behaviourist thing. Has anyone else had experience with either for an extremely anxious dog????

Other than Hailey, everyone else had a great time at the party. To find out if the hole caused some mischief, drop by tomorrow. 

Voting is on at Sammy's until 4 today, so please stop by and vote for my poor, poor girl who had the worst day of her life yesterday!



20 comments:

  1. Poor Hailey. I don't have any experience but will be interested in what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the parties. They are not fun. I don't like lots of strange people either. I am OK with the family gang coming home and even the grandbeans but not the party folks. Hope you have a restful SUNday and get lots of zzzzs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We agree ...poor Lee. We can't be of help but if it was us we go for the behaviourist first rather than meds. Paws crossed. Have a serene Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Voted fur Lee again and she is at the TOP of the list now!! The poor girrrrl. She just doesn't care fur crowds...

    We think you should start with just ONE and see how THAT works and then you could try the other... Meds are Faster... butt the other route works LONGER with no side effects...
    I (Frankie Furter) was terrified to go in ANY vehicle except the 4 wheeler or my pontoon boat... UNTIL Ernie came.. He wasn't afraid in Jennifer Jeep and that showed me not to be afraid either... Now THUNDER... that one STILL scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh poor Hailey. Sounds like one or the other might be worth looking into

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww poor pupper! I am getting more and more anxious the older I get so I'll be curious to see what you do and how it works for you. Get some rest today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor sweet Hailey.....maybe she needs a slug of that rum before she gives it to the Teacher? No - seriously - Sammy has always been an anxious cat but has mellowed with age. I have to say I'd probably go talk to a behaviorist before going the meds route if I had to address an anxious dog. I hope you can make things more comfortable for her in SOME way though - I know you worry about her (so do all of her friends - like us!!).

    Pam (and Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry, sometimes those little peeps can be skeery!! Hope you are better now!!

    wags
    Jazzi and Addi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Hailey, I am not big fan of sedating a dog with medication but will leave that up to the experts to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't really have any experience but would think doing something is better than doing nothing.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor girl! Maybe some calming supplement?
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snoopy gets this anxious also and our vet recommended a behaviorist first then meds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hailey bless your sweet little heart...we hope and purr Dr Woody can help you w your anxiety. Definitely too much stimulation for one day...butt then who knew the crazy fireworks would go off too
    Hugs
    Madi your BFFF

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Lee. It must be horrible to be terrified for so long. We get imprisoned in HER bedroom if anyone comes, and we're quiet. But then, we're not afraid of much. SHE says we just annoy people--as if.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lee!
    Wow, I'm so sorry the party wasn't your cup of tea. I can totally relate. I pretty much try to bash everyone who comes to my territory. I can't help it and my peeps have adjusted to me. They put me out in my yard whenever company comes. I bark and bark and that's just how it is. *sigh* The thundershirt would be my bestest advice. Those can work wonders sometimes.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor Lee :( I also put Shiner away usually when there are guests for similar reasons. I think your vet is right about the behaviorist thing. This makes me think of some nice posts about a dog who has anxiety issues and was on medication for it. It's in three parts. I don't know if it will help any, but maybe it can give you some ideas or insight. I don't think it's right or wrong if you do the drugs or behaviorist thing first, but my first inclination is to say behaviorist first.

    Part 1 - http://www.bringingupbella.com/2013/03/what-difference-drug-makes-part-1.html
    Part 2- http://www.bringingupbella.com/2013/04/what-difference-drug-makes-pt-2.html
    Part 3 - http://www.bringingupbella.com/2013/04/what-difference-drug-makes-pt-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photo! Looks like a superstar of Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it's such a shame she gets so stressed out. It spoils it for her and you. Lets hope you can get it sorted :) xx0xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, poor Hailey didn't get to enjoy the party. Hmm, we got some kind of calming treats in our BarkBox a few months ago. Maybe start off with camomile based treats before starting her on medication when she will be in stressful situations?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!