Saturday, November 23, 2013

To my dogs at the bridge

Dear Loki and Gemini,

It occurred to me the other day, that you may be sitting on your spots on the mantle wondering "WTF?" The lives of the dogs who live with us now live very different lives from the ones you both lived. When you were with us, you ate good food; You got lots of walks and play time; You had ample toys; There were always treats in the house; You got dressed up less.

The changes in the house started when Loki died in 2010, and I realized how short my time was with each of my dogs. It changed when I met Hailey, a dog who had very different needs then either of you. It changed as I started blogging and a whole world of dog products opened up to me. It completely changed when Gemi died in 2011.

Gemini and Loki
Now, while I am always on the quest to find the best food (to help keep Hailey and Zaphod as long as I can), the dog treats and toys have taken up 2 cupboards and a box, toys are purchased more often (in part because they don't last as long now), I want you to know something. Even though Hailey and Zaphod have more stuff, they do not have any more love than you had. The stuff is just stuff. Some of it is stuff you would hate (Gemi, I can see you looking at a puzzle and saying "A princess does not work for her treats, hand them over woman"; Loki, I imagine the look on your face if I dressed you up as often), I know there is stuff you would love. I wish I had known about it these when you were with me.

The love I feel for Hailey and Zaphod is different from my love for both of you. Loki, you will always be my first dog, and my special little guy. Gemi, you will always be my princess.  I just wanted you to know that even though I was slightly less of a crazy dog Lady with you, I didn't love you any less.

Missing you both every day


Your Lady

14 comments:

  1. Lovely to remember Loki and Gemi so fondly. Lee and Phod are so lucky to have you. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may get different THINGYS butt fur sure the one thingy we ALL get is our peep's LOVE. THAT is what REALLY counts, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post. Our beloved critters always live on in our heart and memories.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Mom & Dad are the same way, they talk all the time about passed puppers and how we do things to remind them. They have learned much over the years about the love between us and them, and how they should have been the spent more with each. But we know they tried very hard to spoil each and every one!

    The Mad Scots
    Pees; Hey Lead Detective, may have to send you over to Scotland to check out Bertie, seems as if Gail has been ignoring him, and he does have some eye witnesses!, go check his latest post. TC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything u said. Lovely post.
    Stella rose s momma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lovely post made my mom's eyes leak. I had a brother before me that she hopes knows how much she loved him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having had dogs since I was five years old and having every type of dog...one thing I know for sure is you love all them - each in their own unique way and it hurts like helll each time you lose one. And each time you swear you will never go through that again...but you do - because there is nothing to compare to the unconditional love dogs can give and receive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very, very sweet.....I often think of the sweet cats who I have residing now over the Bridge and all that they taught me about acceptance, patience, flexibility, caring for cats, and most of all love. I miss them all the time......little things will make me think of them - Sammy is different from any other cat I've had before in almost EVERY way so yet again, I learn even more.......unconditional love from a pet is just plain THE BEST. I know Gemini and Loki watch you with Hailey and Zaphod and see that indeed they taught you well about many things.....like the love we feel for our animals stays on and on forever in our hearts.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what??!! Loki and Gemini didn't really need all the extras 'cause they had YOU and your LOVE.
    However, we're grateful to the seven scotties, wolfhound and deerhound X that trained HER before we came along. We love the extras.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Human hadded a lot of Kitties Who Came Before Me. She often asks me why I can't be more like Mr Teeth, who was such a lovey-boy and liked nothing better than cuddling. Ha! I tell her: That was then, this is now!

    The Human loves your post XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Mommy says we are much more spoiled than her other dogs but she loved them lots just like she loves us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was lovely, they will forever be in your hearts xxoxxx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!