Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tasty Tuesday - Hero


One of the products I bought at the Pet Expo was:

Hero Dehydrated Dog Treats



A whole lung
I bought several different ones. I bought this because I fell in love with the company. Hero (visit their website at: http://herodogtreats.com), is a Canadian own and operated company. It was created by a Canadian Veteran to provide meaningful work to Veterans and their families. Supporting Veterans, and helping them transition to life after service, is an important cause for me. My family has a history of military service, and my brother-in-law is an active member of the Canadian Forces. 
I smell something good
The products they offer are dehydrated protein sources. This includes liver, lung, chicken feet, wings, ears, feet. There are no additives or preservatives. I admit it took me a little bit of time to get over the idea that I was holding a beef lung . . . . but I just wash my hands after and it is all good.
I have decided to judge all treats really by Zaphod's reaction. Hailey does get more excited about some treats, but in general she is pretty excited about anything that is a treat. Zaphod on the other hand doesn't traditionally get too excited about treats. He always takes them cautiously, like we are feeding him poison. 

The first presentation of the Hero Beef Lung, he did that, he wasn't sure. However, ever since, he has actually acted excited about these treats. Like totally excited. He dances, he jumps up, he gets so excited. The only other thing that gets him so excited is his ball. 
Our review of Hero Beef Lung (we haven't tried any others yet)

The Pros: 
  • Local Company 
  • Company helps Veterans
  • No additives or preservatives 
  • First treat Zaphod has every been thrilled about
  • They easily break into small pieces.
  • The are available at a number of local stores and online
Cons:
  • They are a little pricer then other treats (but we think it is worth it)
  • The pieces are very large and some people may not like that
  • Thinking too much about it, gives me the "yuck" factor. 

In spite of the few cons, overall, we are truly thrilled with the lung. We give Hero Beef Lung 4 out of 4 paws.

Disclaimer: I independently purchased this product and am sharing my thoughts without the company's knowledge. 






16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful company. Love when you can find excellent locally made products that are good for the furies and community

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now they look well yummy. Enjoy. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love that they help out veterans...that is near and dear to our hearts! We also love yummy treats!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice company :) Also, I totally get the yuck factor. I kept staring at the picture of you holding the lung! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No..you can never never have a treat that's too BIG ..BOL xx00xxx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great company! I love it! And so glad that Phod loves them! We're big fans of Lamb Lungs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum thanks for sharing your 2cents on this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmm those look yummy, they're definitely going on my christmas list...
    Love Milo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHE's never been able to buy the lungs. We think SHE's nuts.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound yummy to me.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would try that if you offered me a bite. If I stop by for coffee one day can I have a taste? Oh wait, mom says I am too young for coffee - rats!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heard about HERO company. It's for a good cause. It's good that you can break into pieces. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!