Thursday, November 1, 2018

Travel Thursday - Home To Scotland

On August 9th, we and one of our 2 bags boarded this plane from Copenhagen to Edinburgh, Scotland. Here we spent the most wonderful week with the most gracious hostess, Yamini. 


We spent our first afternoon purchasing the supplies we needed (missing items from the missing bag) and spending time with Yamini and her father, who house we stayed in the city.

On the 10th, Yamini took us for a drive to Galashiels, to visit the genealogical society there. 2 very kind women helped me do some research into one branch of my family, the Gibsons. We answered a few of my Dad's, the family genealogist, questions and helped generate a whole bunch more, which is always the case when doing family research.

After a lovely lunch, where I was introduced to a new favourite, which I have eaten many times since, a jacket potato with coleslaw, we headed to Greenlaw.

Short story: Thomas Gibson was the shoemaker in Greenlaw. His 5 sons, including the second youngest Robert, all moved to Canada in and around 1850. They set up near a town called Wroxeter, Ontario. This is where my great-grandmother was born and raised, and is now in the cemetery there (with some of the original 5).

Here are a few pictures from this visit:

The street the family lived on, likely one of these were their home


The stone on the right is Thomas Gibson, the stone beside it has his mother and father and stone on the left is her family. I had a moment standing there, 151 years after his death thinking, he could have never imagined that so many years later, his multiple great-granddaughter, from Canada would be standing there. 

Me in my emergency sweater as it was one of the items in the missing bag and a much needed one in Scotland!

Our drive back to the city took us through a ruin at Soutra.




My dogs may not have been able to be there, but they were the reason we were there so their flats traveled with us. 






The countryside was beautiful. I understand economically why the Gibsons (and many other branches of my family) left Scotland, but I can't imagine why they would have left the rolling hills. Scotland is a country I could live in for sure!

Next week, we will share more of our time with the wonderful Yamini!

11 comments:

  1. that is son great to wander back in time to look for ancestory... and we are surprised how much wind thingies are in scotland, we currently have a village-war for just 4 of them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    &*> fondest of memories! It was such a joy to have you visit and show you something of this Bonny Land!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the Scotland countryside is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! So pleased you had such an interesting time in Greenlaw.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh K10 what a wonderful trip full of so many good memories...
    My goodness you did find out lots in Greenlaw and visiting the graves of your great Xs many grandparents. (I like your emergency sweater and it will be quite useful during your winter with possibly a turtleneck under it.
    I loved what you said about Phod and Lee being the reason you were there. AMEN to that.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always amazing to be able to find relatives from so long ago. Thanks for sharing the sights of Scotland with us and we look forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool to find your family ties...Scotland is on our bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of my father's parents were born in Scotland. I spent three weeks on vacation in Scotland many years ago. I visited the Isle of Arran where my grandmother was born. It us a beautiful country. I think I could live there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to be able to make such a trip! You are spot on, how could you now help but wonder what your family would have thought then if they'd known you'd return all these years later and stand in the same places they did. I have no doubt that it has connected you to your roots like no other way can!!

    Scotland really is a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful countryside. It's high on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!