Monday, March 24, 2014

Mischief Monday - Dishwasher wars

First let me start by saying, neither the Man nor I are very handy. We try, but aren't that successful.

Now of all the chores one has to do to keep your house in order, dishes is the least favourite for both of us. It is the one that gets left the longest. We are people who really need a dishwasher. We have also had bad luck with dishwashers. We had problems at our old house and starting last summer, we started having problems at this house. The problems got so bad, that since around Christmas we haven't had a working machine. To say it has been awful, is an understatement. It has made me so grumpy . . . . .

Finally, several weeks ago, we had the money for a new machine. We researched lots of machines to find a great one in our price point. We ordered it. I worked from home on Thursday so it could get delivered. I was so, so excited. I thought to myself, I can install this, so started the processes.
Nin in the dishwasher box

Problem one: We needed a joiner for the hose. Man picked one up at the store on his way home.

Problem two: Man cut the drainage hose and had to go to another store to get a replacement.

Problem three: The joiner for the hose fit but it kept leaking. We realized we needed plumbers tape after the local stores were closed (we live far out of the city and really didn't want to go back in). Fortunately the neighbour (who is totally handy by the way, he built his own house) had some.

2.5 hours later, 3 trips for supplies and a lot of HBO words, we had the sucker ready to run.

Lee taking her turn in the box
Imagine the horror when part way through the first run we got an error message. A look in the book showed it was the worst message to get. For some reason the machine is getting too much water and shutting itself off. What is weird is this seems to be happening at the very end of the rinse cycle (or near the last rinse) as the dishes are actually clean but really wet. While it may not be good, we are using it as we wait to get the repair guy to come and look at it. I can't live any long without a machine.




Hopefully we will have a fully working machine soon!


Where were the pets during all this fun?
Baggy slept on the couch.
Nin got in the box.
Phod hid by the front door.
Lee tired to help.


17 comments:

  1. Even though modern devices are nice to have...some of us just never have much luck with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gremlins at work we say and yes we'd be using some choice HBO words too. Paws and fingers crossed it is up and working super quick. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just do NOT understand this THINGY peeps have about Dishes. All they really need to do is put them where we can REACH... and POOF... they would be Clean and ready to use AGAIN in like 87 seconds. No need fur a MACHINE when they have US and our Tongues ! Just sayin.

    PeeS... hope the repair guy can get it fixed up speedy quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just went through a dishwasher replacement...halfway through we had to call an installer. It sure did seem like it should have been a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are brave for trying to install that on your own! My dad is handy with that stuff, but it is like pulling teeth getting him to do it sometimes. I feel your pain with the no washing machine thing. When my father redesigned the kitchen over 10 years ago, he asked my mother if she wanted a dishwasher and she said no. Since then, I took over the house and sadly I have never had a dishwasher =/ I hate washing dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. about a month ago our dishwasher was making an odd noise, I thought OH NO! I don't want to be without my dishwasher!! it hasn't made the noise since, but I am leary to leave it running if we are not home, just in case. I hate that appliances don't seem to last as long as I think they should.
    hugs
    PugRanch Mom
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta too

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you just try paper???? lol.....hope it gets fixed real soon, that is something mom doesn't have at ours house, the dishwasher here is named Deb.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom got rid of our dishwasher
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mummy and daddy say they would be divorced by now if it wasn't for the dishwasher. Hope you get yours sorted soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. We prefer to stay far away when mommy and daddy are working on a home repair project together. There usually are lots of HBO words when things don't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the smart ones stayed away, good plan. Them dishwasher have brains and bad tempers. Dad is really mechanically inclined, but when ours quit, he told Mom to get a new one and have them install it, worked perfect!

    The mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a dishwasher I don't know why the peeps eat off paper plates..... oops I mean fine china.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just have the silly sink to get the dishes washed,, I wish moms would let me lick them clean!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha! Oh no!!! Sounds like you guys have the same luck as me and my hubby do!
    And I am in full agreement with you about the dreaded dishes!!!! Ah I hate them!!!!!
    We don't have a dishwasher and don't really have room for one in our kitchen anyways but I wish you the best of luck with yours!!!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should have let Lee take control and then it would all be sorted! BOL Hope you get it fixed soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For some reason, our water pressure has decreased and it's not strong enough to run our dishwasher ... and we're too lazy to do anything about it. So we've been doing dishes the old-fashioned way ... by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. All the
    best

    Look at my webpage large budget

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!