Thursday, July 21, 2016

Project Hailey - Storms

I personally love a good storm and now really appreciate them because I know that they will help cool things down (it was 40C/100F for several days last week). The dogs however, are not huge fans. Previously, Phod did not react at all to storms, but recently he has begun to show some signs of distress. Distress for Phod is wanting to be near us and looking concerned, it is not anything serious like Hailey's distress.

Friday I happened to be working from home when the storm rolled in. I watched the sky darken out my office window, heard the wind pick up through the open windows, and then the low rumbles of thunder. Both dogs were also very aware of these changes in the environment. As far as storms go, it wasn't a huge. It was a bit windy, a bit thundery and it did pour rain for a very short time.

Neither of the dogs were happy and they found peace sitting with me in my office.  The corner the left of my desk was their favourite. 





I was really proud of Hailey as she was able to be in my office with minimal pacing (she spent time in the corner as well as on the floor behind my desk chair). She didn't try to dig her way in or out of anything. She was just there. This is a big deal because evenings have been hard for her with all the fireworks. Her new habit for that is to go into the bedroom or bathroom garbage and rip something up. I will take this any day over more serious destruction. 

Only a few more months and we won't have to worry about thunder or fireworks. We will be concerned about things like snow . . . .

25 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I am not so much a fan of storms and we had big thunderboomies here in the Bonny Land yesterday - unheard of! Lots of lightening strikes... WEll done to both doggies; each deserves and extra treat. Aunty said &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done bestest Lee... I'm sure it goes better and better with storm and loud noises :o) hugs to you for being such a trooper :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma loves a good thunderstorm and believe it or not, we have not had as many this year as we usually do. Storms never bothered me before but I guess old age changes things...now I want to be by Ma when one rolls in. Well done to Hailey and Phod for just chilling out with you during the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that Hailey did so well. I hope that the great progress continues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Hailey!! Sounds like she is getting a bit better at coping with storms. Glad you were home with her for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good puppies!
    Did you mention "snow"?!!? YES!!!!!!
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes people staying calm around a nervous dog can have a great impact and although we don't always notice that we may be getting tense dongs can certainly pick up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100 Degrees in Canada? Holy moly mom said that was hotter than Indiana...MOL
    Hailey we are so glad you and Phod are learning to cope with nasty storms.
    Hugs madi your bfff and mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is hot for you isn't it? I bark at thunder but that is about it, mom and dad like a good storm if it cools things down, it is 104 outside right now.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you, Hailey! I hate thunderstorms and fireworks too. I was hiding in the shower stall last night because fireworks were going off :-(

    Love ya lots♥
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. we always say blast the TV to drown out all the boomers. Good girl Hailey
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phod and Hailey, it's gonna be super hot tomorrow in Ontario. Stay cool!!

    Momo & Pinot xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for Hailey! Snow in a few months? That is waaaay too soon for mom!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad Lee is coping better with loud noises! It's really hot there. Do you have humidity? It gets hot here, but we don't have the humidity in our area....BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you were both very brave in the storm. Hiding in the corner or behind a chair is safe. Anyplace near Mom is safe. Also on her lap....

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for Hailey, coping a little better with the storm. we hope it continues!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Wee Phod and Hailey! You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad that you're getting through this stormy season without "more storms" inside! It's a true tribute to your love, dedication, and giving them the needed confidence and reassurance.


    And I heard on the news this evening, that exactly 6 months ago today we were getting ready for our big blizzard. I wonder what it will be six months from now?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Abby's done very well with the frankincense oil (a couple drops) warmed in my hand and rubbed on her head, ears and spine. She still does't LIKE the thunderstorms but won't tremble and try and hide, she just goes to one of her beds that's in a place protected by furniture and lays down. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Abby's done very well with the frankincense oil (a couple drops) warmed in my hand and rubbed on her head, ears and spine. She still does't LIKE the thunderstorms but won't tremble and try and hide, she just goes to one of her beds that's in a place protected by furniture and lays down. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you guys! I am so glads you are doin' better Hailey! Sounds like the plan is working!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. We're so pleased things are getting easier for Hailey. Most unusually, after the heat on Tuesday, I (Gail) was woken up my a massive clap of thunder at 4 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Big thunderstorms are most unusual in Aberdeen, and this was by far the most dramatic one we've had in Bertie's lifetime. He did not bat an eyelid!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We're glad to hear Hailey did better during this storm. It's tough to see when your pup is in distress.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of snow, but at least that's one good thing about it, it doesn't stress out the dogs! Though it does stress me out if I have to drive in it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!