Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Travel Tuesday - North to Alaska - Skagway and the Yukon - Part 3

I mentioned at the start of this port, that this was one of my favourite days of the trip, as it was extra special. Last week I had lived my dream of doing a training run with sled dogs and we were heading south back to Skagway from Carcross.

We were rolling down the highway, enjoying the view. 



Just as we approached a curve, we said something about not seeing a bear yet and then, there she was. She ran across the road in front of us, then down the other shoulder. 



Nervous as we slowed to stop, she climbed the wall. 



She got to a place and was sitting, it was like a small ledge in the rock. To not stress her out further, we left her. I am sure she would have figured out how to either get up or down. 


She wasn't my brown bear, but I still greatly appreciated this little black bear. In one day, I got to live 2 of the dreams.

Shortly after seeing the bear, we were back in Skagway, where I wondered around while my mom returned to the ship. They definitely preserved the feeling of the frontier here. 




Behind the town

Snow plough for the train


Behind the town


Back on the ship, my mom realized she had broken her brand new sunglasses. Fortunately, they are under warranty and once the back ordered lenses come in, she will get a replacement. I was just happy that unlike the phone, I wasn't responsible for this. 


That evening, we cruised by another glacier. I can't remember the name of this one. When I left dinner to go out and see it, I heard a child, about the age of seven say "It is just another glacier." It made me chuckle.  There is no way this young boy was going to understand that soon there won't be 'another' glacier to see at the rate we are going.

Water approaching the glacier




Next week we will visit our last port Ketchikan, Alaska. 


8 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    OH, wow... just wow........ this really was fabulous for you! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. two dreams in one day! nothing could be better. the town is my favorite and I would have been happy there for hours.. old west towns are my thing. my first ever viewing of a snow plow for trains, never even thought about the need for one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh a bear... we never saw one... love the photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful scenery all around. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos of the little black bear climbing up the rocks. The snow plough is fascinating too.
    What an awesome trip!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one big train snowplow and we're so happy that you got to see your bear!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!