Monday, June 13, 2022

Mischief Monday - A Miserable Day -Proof No Good Came of a Thursday- by Phod

 Dear pals,

I have the most terrible story to tell. On May 25 Man and Lady discovered I had what looked like a small cut on my back leg. They remember the day because Callie and her kids were over getting water as our power was still out from the derecho, and they saw a little blood on the floor and at first couldn't figure out which dog it was from. It seemed small and they cleaned it up and sort of 'forgot it'.

Lady and Man covered it before taking me in so I wouldn't bleed everywhere

Fast forward to June 5th when Lady and Man notice it is bleeding all over the place again. They closely monitored it and on June 7th, texted our vet the following picture and asked what he thought. What Woody thought was he had to see me. He booked me an appointment for Thursday.

Close up of my sore

Thursday, Lady put me in the car and took me to the vet. To show my displeasure I threw up a lot in her car. 

The vomit comet (the nickname of the last bus out of the city downtown on the weekend) arrives at the clinic

At the vet I was a very nervous, but good boy. Everyone said I was beautiful (I prefer handsome), tried to offer me treats (which I wouldn't take), and pet me (which I very much liked). 

While waiting I watched the cars go by on the highway and drooled a lot


Woody gave my leg a very good exam and decided somehow I had some extra skin (callous or skin tag) that due to the location had 'cracked'. It is possible the crack was from 'trauma' (meaning just the normal use an old guy like me may have) or from a foreign body.  While surgery could be an option, given the location it is highly risky (not to mention my age), he recommended a less invasive treatment - I got given an antibiotic in case it had a foreign cause and a topical cream (now to get the peeps to remember it 3 times a day!)

Now if this wasn't enough, Lady had Woody swab my ears as they have been a problem again. Well it turns out I have a yeast infection in them. I had a treatment at the vet that made me yelp and have to go back on the expensive allergy pills. 


Waiting to leave as Lady and Woody finish the chat about me and move on to what his kids are up to.  Lady met Woody 28 years ago, before she had any pets, as she nannied his kids while going to University.

Now for the worst part - because of my ears, I am not allowed to go swimming. Woody said I can only go in the lake if I can keep my head out of it. So no swimming for now. I am very sad about this. 

Anyway, it was a rather terrible day and it did give proof to Lady's belief that no good came of a Thursday or her new thing it was a tra-jeudi (jeudi being French for Thursday and when you say 'tra' in front of it is sounds like tragedy).

Your very good but sad pal Phod

15 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oh those Thursdays - they do insist on coming around at regular intervals, don't they Phoddy??! I am so sorry you had to go through all this - but I also hope that it works for your better health and send some POTP to back it up. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. we totally agree with your lady.... and this quote is the thing we remember efurry thursday... hugs to you and all good wishes for a complete and fast recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We send you lots of healing vibes and AireZen, Phod, and hope your foot gets better soon. We are so sorry that the swimming is on hold for now. We know how much you love your swim in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Phod, you have been in the wars. We do hope your leg and ears are better soon and this Thursday does not end up another Tra-Jeudi. Gail says if you swim with your head out of the water you will remind people of the ladies she used to see in the swimming pool when she was a child, doing breast stroke and not wanting to get their heads wet and disturb their hairdos!
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, you poor boy. So sorry about your owie, but extra sorry about the swim restrictions. I hope you an at least get your feet wet in the lake to stay cool. Feel better soon, handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know quite what to think about all the throwing up in the car! Yikes! Hope your leg feels better, soon, and I'll tell you a secret... Jester has a huge skin tag on one hind leg I am hoping never gets caught on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phod that was a terrible day for 100% sure. I'm so sorry about the no swimming.
    Hugs to you and your very caring staff and of course Lee
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're sorry to hear about your bad day, Phod. Our paws are crossed that the medicine helps, and you are all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, blerg, big buddy. No swimming is a bummer. We hope the medicine works on your gorgeous leg and poorly ears. Get well soon. We love you.

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thursdays are the worst!! We sure hope your ears heal quickly and you can go swimming again!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phod, sorry you're having issues...especially the ear one which means you can't go swimming. I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lightning has - a couple of calluses like that on his front legs near where they join his torso. Maybe from lying down on his side for long periods? Lightning thinks it calls for some massaging of some nice cream or vaseline to keep them from drying out. Phod, we hope your ears are better soon, and your boo boo heals quickly too.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi handsome friend, Ojo here! Oh NO!!! VET!!! Oh NO! No swimming! Oh NO! Losing your breakfast! This is a sad day indeed! I hope everything gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, poor sweet and long suffering Phod. Hope your boo-boo and ears heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are very impressed with the bandage technique used on your poorly leg. We hope your leg sore and ears heal quickly and that the yeast infection doesn't come back.

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!