As I mentioned, we decided to try Hailey on her meds again (prozac) because her anxiety was increasing. We had some at a low dose left, so started with that and saw an improvement. We called the clinic and asked for them to prescribe the low dose.
Last week I went to pick it up and after I left the pharmacy (because she is on a human drug, not one you get at the vet clinic), I realized they had given us the original higher dose. I knew she was going to take it because I had just spent $46 on 30 pills and we weren't going to waste that. However, I called the vet to clarify.
As you may remember, our vet is a close personal friend, who has proven time and again he is a wonderful vet (although there is a joke at the clinic his note taking could use some work). After talking to him about why we had the higher dose (even though I left a message saying the lower one seemed to be working), he had decided, after looking back at the books and doses, that the lower dose was just too low. He wanted her to be on this higher dose. So like many times in our vet relationship, we have agreed on a compromise: Hailey will try this higher dose for one month (I have paid for it anyway). If we don't think it is any different from the lower dose or if she has side effects etc., he will prescribe her the lower dose.
Now we are waiting to see if we notice a difference.