Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Catch up Tuesday

I have been behind in my blogging and blog reading. Work has been crazy and will be crazy for the next 2 weeks. Today we will catch up on our adventures.

Emma amused me one night being both interested in and afraid of a toad. She would sniff it, it would jump forward, she would jump back and then step forward to sniff it again. This repeated all across the yard.

What is this? FYI Phod likes to pee on the big cones
We have had to go out extra early for our walks because they are paving the road we walk down. We need to be back from our walks around 6:30. We can go in the bush but the mosquitoes are really bad back there and I need to wear long pants and sleeves and it has been very, very hot here. Even though I have a natural bug spray, I don't like to put it on if I don't have to because I feel sticky and gross after. We are a little sad to see that much of the frogs habitat has been destroyed as they have dug out the ditches. Hopefully it will grow back. It is equally disturbing to see the number of dead frogs (killed by the machines) every day. There were at least a dozen on Friday. We will see if this paved road is worth it or if it would have been better to stay a dirt road.

Lee checking out where the frogs use to live

Our biggest adventure happened on Thursday. Wednesday night we had to close the windows because it smelt like skunk outside. Thursday morning the dogs and I went out (and they were off leash) and it was skunky. They did their business, we came in and ate, and went for our walk. As I was walking down the driveway with the 3 dogs on leash I spotted it. The skunk. He/She had decided to come into our yard and die beside the driveway. I was able to keep the dogs away from it during our walk. I came back in, woke up the Man and told him we had skunk removal to do.

Now, I am not really a country girl as far as dealing with dead things go. I knew I wouldn't be too much help, but I tried. I tried to hold the bag and not throw up while man scooped the skunk into the bag. I am proud to say I didn't scream. Fortunately it was garbage day so the poor skunk was sent off to the landfill. Since it's removal, the dogs have all been very interested in the spot where it died.

We had a good laugh about this dead skunk as we asked "what is with us and skunks?"  As some may remember last summer (see July 17, 2012 post if you like), we had our house up for sale. A mother skunk and 2 babies moved under our front stairs where mom died. We had to do live traps to catch the babies. It cost us a lot and I am sure turned off perspective buyers.

Those were our adventures last week, let's see what this week brings!

Note: We are getting close to our 100th blog post. We will have a little celebration for this. Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. Lucky the dogs didn't roll in the dead skunk. We would be too squeamish to clean it up. Yuck. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck. Dead animals are not fun to deal with and skunks have that extra layer of aroma. You should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep we figured they would roll around and nose around in that spot....ewwwwewee......
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMD almost 100 posts??? THAT is a real MILESTONE!! Can't Wait!!

    Now about those SKUNKS... we wonder WHY they die... do you suppose they have some sort of disease??? that would be super scary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I would have not been thrilled if I saw a dead skunk!!! Congrats on almost 100 blog posts!
    Speaking of blog posts! Dakota moved to a new address! If you aren't subscribed would you please consider doing so? His new address is www.dakotasden.net

    Thanks so much!
    Love, Dakota and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stickier the better!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm behind too!
    Well done for dealing with the skunk, my mummy would've puked lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you got an invisible sign that says 'Skunk Haven'?

    So sad about the frogs losing their habitat. We hope they'll come back in force once the road work is finished.

    We're just getting ready to head out in the frost for our morning walk, but we're waiting for it to get light enough--enough to deal with tangled leads--we can't go until nearly 7.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & roxy

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have something for you on our page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, consider yourself lucky that the pups didn't decide it was a good idea to scent roll in the dead skunk. The mosquitoes have been horrendous this year. Even if you wore long pants, I think they'd find a way to bite you and the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all get behind. Sounds like quite a week.

    wags
    Jazzi and Addi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yuck.. BOL glad we don't get skunks here but we do get Mozzie'z and as it'z hot, Humom is bitten to death.. We are always behind too xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!