Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Travel Tuesday - Ship Life - by Lady

I love life on the sea. In another life I would have a yacht (I am far to lazy to sail) and live on the ocean. Since this life does not permit such luxuries, I have to settle for the cruise ship.

The things I love of cruise life:
-the food - it is so good, and I will share some of my favourite dinners below
-the gentle rocking of the ship
-my room is cleaned daily and I don't have to do it
-the pace of sea days 
-the predictability of it all

Things I don't like:
-the large number of other people. Over the years I have met and spent time with some wonderful people I am still in contact with on the ship - but in general, it is way too people-ly. 

Often, to save money and because let's be honest we are rarely in our room other than to sleep and change, we get an inside cabin. However, on this trip, given it was my first trip since the pandemic began, we upgraded to the balcony. I had totally forgotten this and was thrilled when I realized, because more than any other trip in my life, I found being around people the hardest on this one.  

The Man - who doesn't love the balcony spending a little time on it


Two things on the ship anchor your life (pun intended) - port days and the time you can leave the ship and the time you have to be back to the ship, and meal times.  As a person with food allergies, the whole process of getting food can be a thing. In general, I order my food the day before so the kitchen can prepare it. In spite the fact I say no gluten and no soy, they can seriously make me anything! Sometimes my dinner is better than Man's! Unfortunately, for the first time, I somehow got some soy (no one can figure out how, which is a little scary - but it was the one and only night we ate in the main dining room), and had one evening of toilet dependency and 36 hours of feeling really gross, but this was a blip and had as minimum impact as it could.

Here are some pictures of my favourite meals - although I realize my Chinese food is not pictured here and they made me amazing, safe food and honestly the Chinese restaurant had some of the best service. (Note: my dinners all have meat but there are lots of vegetarian options on the ship).


Steak dinner at the speciality steak house - Cagney's

Lamb at Le Bistro - the French Restaurant and our favourite


Osso Bucco from the Italian restaurant

French onion soup 

My favourite dessert - this yummy pear

Duck - at Le Bistro - we ate there twice

For those who don't love food like me, here are some non-food pictures:

The port in Bonaire

Coming into St. Lucia



Proof I was out of my room past 9 pm and at the Glow party

Because we never have pictures together

I hope you enjoyed a little of our life on the ship. Come back with us next Tuesday to go on a hike in Aruba! 



10 comments:

  1. oooh the food!!! are dogs aloowed there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I am so glad you loved your trip (and I loved St Lucia all those long years past when I visited)... but cruising just ain't my bag. Sailing, more so... and to me a yacht has sails, so I am little confused at your choice of vessel for 'not sailing'... Maybe you mean one of those big millionaire motor boats (aka Stink Boats...i'e' you need to be stinking rich to have one!) Meh... rowing and sailing then back on terra firma for the YAMster! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty photos, especially you and Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food sure looks yummy, and the scenery is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. K10 I have only taken one cruise. 2005 Alaska on Dawn Princess the perfect size ship.
    Of course BEFORE COVID so no worries. WE had a balcony and love it.
    I agree with every word you said about the food the only problem I had was their coffee was never hot and not very tasty. First port of call was Skagway I saw a Starbucks and was happy.
    I did mention to the staff that the coffee was not hot. That improved and miraculously when it was hot the flavor was better.
    I love each and every photo.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That food all looks totally yummy. Neither Nobby nor Gail has any objection to meat-focussed dishes (especially ones that involve lamb)!
    Too bad about the soy episode, but it clearly didn't ruin the holiday.
    Gail can totally relate to the 'too many people' issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ship life looks pretty good to me....Ed, not so much. Bonaire doesn't look to have changed much since we were there last(about 7 years ago). The food looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks like a trip of a lifetime! The food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As there are allergies at our house, we feel the pain of the results of eating something you should not. What a terrific trip! Our Peep loved the photos. She can't make up her mind if she likes the food or the landscapes...Purrs Marvelous Marv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!