Monday, March 21, 2016

Mischief Monday - Hailey's Annual Check-up

Last week I got the reminder card that Hailey's check up was due. I called the clinic and it turned out that our vet was working on Saturday (he only works every fifth Saturday), so I took an appointment.

Hailey knew the car ride was not taking her to somewhere good. She whined the whole way. When we pulled up at the clinic she began to howl, however, she went right to the front door.

I don't want to be here! 


She got mostly on the scale right away. It took me about 4 tries to get all her paws on the scale. I wish I could have taken a picture of her, all four paws out trying not to stand on it. She weighs 17.3 kg or 38 lbs.

She was stressed in the waiting room.



She was stressed in the examining room.



Even though she is very stressed, she did a great job at cooperating with the vet. She loved all the treats he gave her and even danced for one. He said she looked great! Lately, Leelee has been eating so quickly she vomits, even with her one slow bowl. This has started since we started decreasing her meds. The vet said she has "gluttony"and if the slow bowl isn't working, we need to feed her smaller amounts at a time. I switched up her slow bowl last night and she didn't eat as fast.

She waited very, very impatiently after her exam (she paced, barked, tried to open the door), while the vet and I chatted. We have been friends for 22 years (I babysat his kids when I first moved to Ottawa), so it is always nice to catch up. It was good for him to see her highly anxious.

She was very nice to the clinic cat on the way out. I put her in the car so it would be possible for me to pay and pick up their heart worm and Phod's carsickness meds. When she went to get in she was so upset she misjudged the jump and bounced off the door frame. I admit I laughed. When I came out, she was laying peacefully on the backseat. However, she had someone got her harness twisted.

I tried to get out of the harness but failed


She was silent the whole ride home and thrilled to be home. I know it was very hard for her and I know she did her best. We won't have to do it again for a year!



30 comments:

  1. WELL DONE Hailey! Visits to Mr Vetman aren't funs butt you got through yours wiv flying colours....just need a bit more work on how to Houdini outta you harness
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Hailey darling, I think you did very very well - it is okay to fret, but still to behave for the vet means you also understood you were safe. Glad it was a clean report!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. must ambit Reilly loves loves loves going to the vets - he loves the attention and getting to say hello to everyone. Denny goes quietly = he is just too scared to do much more than put one foot in front of the other

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that visit is over... i am dreading Middle of May, which is Jakes annual.... not fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that a visit to the vet makes her so stressed. It sounds like she did her best and really, that is all you can ask of her, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hailey!
    Wow, I so totally feel for you and understand! Gosh, you did great. I'm glad you are in perfect health and that this is over for another year. Good job cooperating when you were so stressed out. I'm very impressed and wish I could do as well as you. :)
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Police Commish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I howled with you as I heard your voice in the video. I'm very nervous in the waiting room too, bet that are the smells there.... The vet tried to solve that problem and now we wait in the car at the back door of the treating room and the drama starts there :o) but one drama is better than two on that front, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great check up my friend. Vets *always* brings out the "why" look in all of us here... even me. Trust me. Even me. Snorts with piggy laughter. XOXO - Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee my girl...I could feel your stress here too. I'm so glad you did well and you were able to maintain your composure. Mom says getting me in my PTU for a trip to the vet is like corralling a herd of horses....BUTT when it is time to leave the vet I walk in my carrier lickety split. ANother year over and done with. MOL MOL you like the clinic cat. Good for you
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Haley. Treats make a world of difference
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMD LEE you survived the Annual Torture Treatment at the Dogtor... WHEW... You did VERY WELL, Hailey. WE are PROUD OF YOU... specially the pawt about leaving the OFFICE CAT.. in ONE PIECE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Hailey. Great to hear that you're basically in good shape.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job sweet hailey, the Vet is always a hard place for us to go also. We except me, I like to be friendly and check everyone out. We are glad you are so healthy. stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good girl, H. Its tough to be calm at the vet. I do that listening at the door thing, too. I also stop breathing to hear better. You did great!

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY Hailey! Overall you did really well and I know your Mom and your vet were proud of you!! Baby steps are still steps in the right direction dear girl!

    Love, Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hailey sounds a lot like Lightning. He LOVES to go in the car but he cries and barks all the way to the vet. Then he is a very good boy, loves everyone, and is very cooperative. He thinks everyone should be paying attention to him. He is a bit better on the ride home but still seems a bit anxious.

    Hope the slowdown in the meds is still going well.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why do the peeps put us through those dreaded vet visits?? Hazel had hers last week, and did fairly well but has to go back next month for a dental - ugh
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! A whole year before she has to go through it again! Glad she got a good report and lots of treats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just had a checkup, too! Does your vet give you cookies? Ours does. We love her!
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good job, Hailey! Now you don't have to worry about it for a whole another year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Poor girl! Glad everything went okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hailey I feel the same way at the vet office ever since I got my bum shot, before that I just relaxed. Glad you don't have to go back for a year.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dears. Sorry gurl!!! I gots to go to mine too! I am a-okay, unless there are other doggies there, then I gets freaked out, cause it's such a small place, and I feel claustrophobic and want to lash out. Since I gots to gets my nails trimmed, I need my happy pills to do that, I should be more mellow. Maybe. I am glads you are tip-top, and that THAT is overs! BOL!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great job Hailey!! We are glad you got a clean bill of health, and don't have t go through that for another whole year!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good job, Hailey! Glad you're done with going to the vet for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did great Hailey. We don't enjoy being at the vets much either even though, like your vet, everyone is always very friendly to us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!