Saturday, May 2, 2015

Wildlife Encounters Continue

No pictures again - sorry!

The pups and I set out of our morning walk at about 6:50 today. (This was after begging Hailey to let me sleep another hour). The start of the walk was a little uneventful. About a km from our house there is a huge open field with some brush etc. As we were walking I spotted something. My brain at first said, there is someone's dog. Then my brain woke up and said "That is a coyote!" We have lived in our house for 2 years and 10 months today and I have never seen a coyote. 

Of course I wanted a better look so we walked another 15 or 20 feet. During this time the coyote was 40-50 feet away in the field. She was very aware we were there. She would stop, look at me and then trot a few feet. Finally she trotted into a clearing. We stood and looked at each other for maybe 10 seconds. Then she turned and trotted into the bush. 

Up to this point for whatever reasons, my pups were completely oblivious to this encounter. They were sniffing away. They even looked around to try and figure out what I was looking for but they never saw here. 

Because the coyote was heading the way we were heading, and to this point our encounter had been wonderful (far less scary than the porcupine earlier in the week), I cut our walk a little short and headed home.

What a cool week for wildlife!




10 comments:

  1. I never saw a coyote in the furs... I probably would run home like the wind before the 38kg of TNT on my leash will explode :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    OMD what a spotting! No doubt stretching territory seeking to feed up for the new season - and maybe feeding cubs too.... treasure moment - no piccie needed fur such things! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome!!! Even more awesome that your pups didn't catch scent, letting yu enjoy the encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think everyone is out enjoying the Spring after your long winter. You have seen lots of wildlife this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Dogs, that was exciting. It must be so cool to see them up close like that. I am happy it all went well and you got to see it and then go home safe and sound.


    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have coyotes here on our island. We've heard them...but have never seen any, thank cod. They can be not so nice. We're glad you got to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEK! Coyotes are super scary! But so cool to see at a distance tho! haha!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just popped across to see what 20degreesC feels like, and instead we encountered a coyote.
    Wow!
    Gail and Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear friends,

    Wow, you have seen a real live coyote! (Or at least your person has!)

    I have never seen a real live coyote, but many people think I look like one. So she must have been very beautiful if she looked like ME! (But stay safe, okay! Stay away from all this wildlife! Maybe you should come live with us where the wildlife is raccoons and squirrels and bunnies. Nothing scary there!)

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!