Monday, February 25, 2013

Mischief Monday - Practicing Patience by the Lady

Patience is not something, I the Lady, have a lot of. I would like to say I did, but this is something I am working on. Hailey gives me lots of practice with this.

Let's talk about last Monday, Family Day.  First, while I was doing laundry, she snuck into the laundry room and had a snack from the cat litter box . . . it is my fault for not closing the door, but still.

As I was working at home (when you work for yourself no work = no money, so sometimes you work on holidays too), we went for our walk in the afternoon. This had the main advantage of it had warmed up a little and the frostbite warning was gone. It wasn't our best walk as there were fresh deer and turkey prints, but it wasn't our worst.

As we were coming around the last bend, my boot came untied. I tried to walk with it untied but decided I needed it tied. So I stopped, put the leashes under my other foot and leaned down to do up my boot.

It was at this moment that Hailey thought she saw something in the field about 500 meters away, and after screaming (her screaming not me) she took off. Phod went after her. After finishing tying my boot and saying every swear word I could think of, I headed off after them. I hoped that Hailey would be going after squirrels again. I tried to remain calm and sound so happy as I called "Hailey, Zaphod, Come here."  Under my breath I would say what I truly felt  before calling them again. As I was walking as quickly as I could, I watched them go through the horse pasture and back out and then to my horror, up the main road (which isn't that busy of a road) and out of sight.

Awww, the sun
At this point I start to run as well as I could through knee deep snow in the bush up the mountain. I hit the road and they were no where to be seen. I spot their footprints in the side of the road and start to follow them while calling as nicely as I can. Almost right away, Mr. Zaphod came racing out of a driveway toward me. This was a relief because I not only had him, I now know where Lee was. I walk quickly toward the driveway. Once I get past the huge banks of snow, I saw Lee standing in the driveway. There was another dog on a tie out there. I approached slowly and calmly for both Lee and this other dog. The other dog appeared friendly and didn't even bark. Hailey played deaf and continues sniffing around and heads up a snowbank beside this dog. Finally I was able to grab her leash.
 photo Iamtoocutebadge.jpg

It was a very long walk home. I could feel my adrenaline pumping and I was mad. I looked at her and said "You just won your award, I want to kill you."  I know that is not a good thing to say, but that is how I felt.

For once the dogs both realized I was very angry (perhaps the smoke from my head was an indicator). The completely avoided me for the next hour and I raged while I cleaned the house. While I was cleaning and swearing under my breath, regretting my life choses that lead me to be a dog owner, I started to think, be patient. Look at this like a problem at work.

Tune back tomorrow for some ideas I have to help . . . .

12 comments:

  1. Oh no how naughty and we can imagine how you felt. I am not so bad now but when I was young I was horrid. Sometimes getting me back took hours as I ran amok in the park chasing squiggles. No one could catch me. Peeps I think would rather forget all about those times. Have a marvelous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad day for you, but you sure gave me a chuckle..."regretting my life choices that lead me to be a dog owner." Hope things got better and glad you caught up with everyone. That can be so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we are BOL, sorry, it's the way you told it, made us laugh..It's not funny and nicking cat poo..Urg!!! BOL..Mollie runs off if she see's a bird, 90 mile an hour run, won't tell you what comes out of my mouth :) Try and have a good Monday :) xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dog! I'm sure the swearing helped. Patience is something we can't know if we have until it's tried, unfortunately. I'm glad you and your babies are all safe. You sure tell a good story. I was holding my breath, waiting to see if the dogs were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew!! So happy you got them back ok, great that you could follow their footprints!!

    My Mum is always horrified that I would run off if I got loose, I wouldn't really, unless there was something to chase of course!! Tee Hee

    Wags to all,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always know when SHE's angry....usually after Bella has done the same thing...running off. But sometimes a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

    XXXOOO daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mom, thats what we dogs do, as Dad says "if it wasn't for the crazy stuff we do or get into,, life would be a big bag of bordom". They have become so acustom to our actics, that they just laugh at us.

    Your Pals
    Susie & Bites

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely relate to you. My dog does things all the time repeatedly that I just get so mad about. Getting into trash, escaping from the house to go bark at people at the nursery, chew stuff up... you know what I'm talking about it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so scary! I had that happen with a previous dog before. Now I've made absolutely certain Nola has a solid come, stay, wait, and STOP! (drop down and stay, no matter what she's doing).
    Nola' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom would be scared like crazy if we ran off! We hope you were able to calm down and feel happier!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy and Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee hee. I am a good kitty and I never do nuffing norty. Nuffing at all. Not like those WOOFIES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we've all been there at one time or another. I wanted to chase some pigeons the other day so ran to the end of my extendable lead and kept going! I managed to wrench the lead out of mummy's hand. Luckily for her the shock of being whacked on the bum with the end of my lead made me stop and she was able to catch me - whoopsie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!