Thursday, May 2, 2024

Getting Old - by Lady

After my angels Loki departed at age 8, and Gemini at age 6, my goal in life had been to have a dog who lived until at least 10. I remember joking that I may have to adopted a senior dog to make this happen, as I didn't have much luck previously. 

Now I am living with 2 senior dogs. I know I am watching our last moments together as I see them both slowing down. As I write this, I should clarify I don't see any immediate threat to their health, however, at the same time, nothing would surprise me. 

I am looking at this stage of my dogs life as a gift. I am blessed that overall they are both happy and comfortable in their golden days. Phod needs his arthritis shot, has decreased stamina -there is no fetch and our walks get shorter. He avoids extra stairs and sleeps almost all day, and sleeps much deeper (he fails as a guard dog now, usually in our closet. He still has his moments of play and being silly, but they are shorter too. His vision seems pretty good, but his hearing is not what it was. 

I have taken your seat

Hailey has never fully recovered from her neurological event. She is still tippy. She doesn't run and jump like she used to. She is dragging her back paw more noticeably. Her stamina is much less and is clear she doesn't see as well. She has become a picky eater, who would have imagined that. The upshot is, she hasn't destroyed anything and I am not as worried she will. Also, while she may make a little dash to the neighbours or into the bush, we can trust her off leash way more because we know she isn't going far. 

Annoyed I am taking her picture


What I miss most besides the cuddles on the couch neither want to get on, and my full time work supervisor in Phod, is the long walks. Some times I admit, I resented those long walks when they needed to happen. However now I know physically and mentally I was healthier when I was doing them. I admit, I love these 2 with all my hearts and they will spend the remainder of their days in my care, I do think about getting a third, younger dog, for a walking companion. Man, plus knowing Lee and Phod wouldn't appreciate this, prevent me from doing it. I need to stop being lazy and just take myself for a long walk, I hear it is possible.

In spite of the changes, I am so grateful to have this chapter with them. I would not change it for the world. I have even less understanding and compassion for people who dump a dog just because they are old. It may be true that old dogs are the best. I am just going to cherish the moments we have. 

12 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    πŸ™πŸ©· An excellent reflection on the state of life for you and yours just now. 🐾🐾🐾 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seniors. They are the best and they have the very best care with you. I got shin splints walking by myself the first time hurrying to get back home to Molly and now I've learned to slow down and enjoy the spring flowers. Hailey and Phod will be waiting for you when you get back. Hugs to you♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're a couple of senior dogs too and have slowed down a little. Our parents are always happy to have us around even if we aren't as active as we used to be. Both of us have excellent hearing though...much to our parents dismay when we bark at the slightest sound. BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we agree old dogs are the best and Beau will be 11 in Oct and he is slowing down more each day, much the way you described Phod. I know he is winding down and I worry that we might leave him behind and no one want him. we are both slower and older than he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail totally understands the feeling of loss when a dog can't manage a long walk any more. As Bertie aged, she was sorely tempted to get a puppy, but knowing that this would upset him, she waited.
    And you know what, now that I am over the 'mad puppy' stage of life, she says she sometimes misses the fact that I no longer am as crazy as a few months ago!
    Phod and Hailey, we know you are living your best lives with the best humans, and wish you all more time together.
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried a little for you. I've really become fond of these two, and you've been wonderful to share them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your two are like our Beauty and Trooper looks -wise. We have had several GSDs we have had them go as early as 3 and as late as 13. I'm with John Holton, thanks for sharing them with us. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying for many more days for you. It is what annoys our parents most about us that they miss the most

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Mom totally agrees with all that you have reflected upon. She would add - enjoy every minute you have because you just never know.

    Woos - Misty and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of you are bless that your found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve been debating writing a similar post. I have three seniors now, and I’m constantly anxious, constantly worried, and dreading the moments when I have to say goodbye. The emotions are so raw right now, I’m not sure I’m capable of sharing them in a post. I just want more time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!