Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Travel Tuesday - North To Alaska - Day 3 Anchorage and Day 4 Seward

After 2 busy days in BC, Sunday was a travel day as we headed to Alaska. Our cruise started north and we cruised south.  

There is an advantage to traveling with someone with mobility issues the speed at which you pass through the airport.  From arrival to gate, with security and customs (as we had to clear them in Vancouver) was 20 minutes. There were no lines for us!  This gave us the long waiting at the gate, which is fine with me as I have a book and no worries about missing a flight!

Zipping through the airport in a cart

It was an uneventful flight to Anchorage. 


Thanks to the nice Swiss guy beside us for taking these for me

We made it safely to Alaska (and the start of people's love of taxidermed animals). 

Anchorage airport

While we had a little time in Anchorage we opted to just rest because we had barely stopped for 2 days and had another big travel day the following day.

This picture is really to show the luggage. That is everything we had for our trip. While my mom would disagree, we had everything we needed and did not need all the choices of our regular closets while traveling and I have to carry everything. 

As it was Sunday, all the restaurants near us were closed. So we did another first for my mom (and not a regular thing for me because I live in the country), we did Door Dash. Door Dash brought us some wonderful Indian Food that we ate in the lobby. 



While eating we got to enjoy some of Alaska's wildlife (I must admit I really don't understand the need for all of theses, but it does make me chuckle!)



It was at breakfast the next day, I had a moment of pause as I noticed the bullet hole in the window of the hotel.  Where we had been sitting at dinner, I hadn't seen it, and that is likely for the best, because I had already read about the crime stats in Anchorage and this would not have helped me with my comfort.


Monday, we were back to the airport to take a 5 hour train ride from Anchorage to Seward to the ship. This is also where we stood in line to check into the ship. Fun fact, I found out several weeks after being home, that my next door neighbour, whom I don't know well, was getting off the ship we were getting on that day and we would have passed in the airport that day! It is a small world.


The ride was peaceful, beautiful and fun. A lovely couple was sitting across from us, a couple we had many drinks with on the ship. They asked a very good question (one I wasn't sure the answer of, but Google later helped me). Why didn't Canada buy Alaska from the Soviets? The answer is, the Soviets didn't want to sell it to anything connected to the British, and given the King is our head of state, they didn't offer it to us at all. So we didn't buy Alaska because it was never an option. (I wonder if the Soviets still think this was the best idea???)

Here are some random shots from a train window.



Dall sheep

Mud flats

a glacier

Coming out of the tunnel

another glacier

The first of so many bald eagles - every time I thought of Sam the Eagle from the Muppets


A reflection of me, sent to me by my seat mate

We had decent sandwiches for lunch on the train. We arrived safely at the ship, the Norwegian Jewel. Our luggage was waiting for us in our stateroom. It was exciting to actually be in Alaska!

We went to Moderno the Brizillian Steakhouse and got settled into our rooms.  It was nice to unpack and get settled (my favourite part of cruising).

Come back next week for a sea day, with the amazing Hubbard Glacier. 

10 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Alaska and now I do even more!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow how wonderful the mama smirked as she saw that you got the place with the sight on the wings ... that's always her place too..... the train is a dream... oh how wonderful to travel that way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oooh, just that train trip would do me! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that train is amazing all by itself.. love the views from the train... door dash brings our pizza, seems they are every where. I much prefer the goats on the mountains than on a wall. not a fan of dead critters in the buildings, maybe a live bear? you really had a great trip. that is a huge stack of luggage to me. do they have laundry service on ships? I did not know the USA bought Alaska from the Russians or anyone else. Shows how much I loved History in school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to see Alaska! Your photos are tremendous! Love the moose behind you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Wow! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. K10 wow x 87 wow. I felt like I was with you. I loved the door dash and the interesting critters who watched you eat. Riding the rails to Whitter was one of our favorite things. Oh the memories you and Mom made!!!
    Wonderful
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. We too had wondered why Alaska wasn't part of Canada and now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! So much beauty. Thanks for letting us "arm chair" travel with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!