Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Travel Tuesday - Go North To Alaska - Vancouver, B.C.

 Hello readers,

I would like to thank Hailey and Zaphod for graciously allowing me to take some space on their blog to share my most recent adventure - a trip to the West Coast for anAlaskan Cruise with my mom.

In or around the year 1968 my mom decided she wanted to go on an Alaskan Cruise. She and my dad had been planning this around the time the 'incident' made travel basically impossible for my dad. I offered to go with her. So this summer was the time to make her dream come true.

Me in Stanley Park

Our trip started on July 28 with a very early morning flight to Vancouver B.C. We arrived around 9:30 PST and after dropping our bags at the hotel and having brunch, we headed out for the hop on and hop off bus around the city. This was my mom's first trip to Vancouver and my third.

One of the first stops we passed through was Chinatown. Allow this traveller a moment for the less pleasant. I feel I am fairly well informed on the Opioid crisis in Canada, and I had seen some of the issue in previous visits to Vancouver (as well as seeing some in Ottawa and Toronto). However, nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. For the dignity of those impacted, there are no pictures and words can't describe seeing 'piles' of strung out people, seeing people check others to see if they were dead, the pain, and the suffering, literally laying on the sidewalk for what felt like endless blocks. My heart broke a little and I was near tears (I am not a crier so this is a big deal). While it was a shocking way to start the vacation, I do not regret having a much deeper understanding of this problem and as my jet lagged brain settles, I will be looking into what I could do to help.  

A memorial in Chinatown to those who fought in the war

Famous Gastown clock

The Vancouver Harbour

A statue I liked in the city

The main stop we took on the hop on and off was Stanley Park. This 1001 acre park was named for Governor General Lord Stanley, the man who gave us the cup (the top prize in the NHL). It is a beautiful place and well worth the visit.

The park has some wonderful gardens. 



I loved that nature had found a way to grow!


We took the horse drawn tour around the park, with our horses Jim and Grit. 


Grit kept giving us the stink eye lol!

Many movies and TV shows are filmed in Vancouver and the horses from the stables at the park have been in shows like Once Upon a Time (some were Prince Charming's' horses).

Vancouver, and almost all the area we visited is a temperate rainforest, which means they are areas that get ample rainfall, less severe winter weather and therefore some amazing growth. The trees in Stanley Park are mostly only a few hundred years old thanks to logging and fires, but it was still stunning. 


Never met I tree I didn't want to hug

One of the main attractions in Stanley park is a collection of totem poles, which represent a number of different First Nations in Canada. Totem poles are monuments that the First Nation's People of the West Coast carved to tell stories, to commemorate people and events. (More on them when we get to Alaska).



Another attraction is "Girl in a Wetsuit." This is rumoured to be inspired by the Little Mermaid Statue in Copenhagen, and having been to both, I can seem the similarities. 


I took a picture of the geese because earlier in the day had seen some tourists were trying to hug them and they can be so nasty. 



As a Canadian I sometimes forget how uneducated much of the world is about us. I would like to take a moment to just clarify a few things.

Yes - Canada has towns, we are not just big cities.

Provinces are most easily explained as being similar to States but with more Federal oversight. We also have territories, but will save explaining those for another time.

Our coloured money has nothing to do with the pride movement.

Yes, it is very expensive to live in Canada, especially Vancouver. Who can afford it? Not many.

Thanks for letting me know you think Trudeau is good looking. He is now single if you are interested.

The province is British Columbia. The city is Vancouver, the island is Vancouver Island and the city that is the capital of the province is Victoria (It is not Victoria Island).

I can assure you Ottawa is the capital of Canada. It is not Toronto. I know Toronto thinks it is the capital of the world, but it is only the capital of Ontario. Please stop arguing with me about this.  


Come back next week when we visit Vancouver Island - the bus trip where many of the gems above were gleamed! 


13 comments:

  1. I once drove through Vancouver (strictly, my friend Marse drove and I navigated, badly - we ended up much closer to the centre than intended) but seeing these photos now I regret we didn't stop. But so sad about the opioid-wrought devastation.
    Both my mother and my sister-in-law lived in Canada for several years as children and neither ever had or have a bad word to say about the place!
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS Nobby is planning to blog about Scotland's temperate rainforest on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opioids are a huge problem here, too. By now, probably everywhere. It is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you found wonderful things , wow!!! we love the totem poles and the girl in the wet suit reminds us a little of the little mermaid in sweden....

    ReplyDelete
  4. opoids are so bad here they are about to make the RX that brings people back from overdose available at the local pharmacy with out a prescription from a doctor. parents can buy it to save their kids when, not if they overdose. it makes me sad to read about what you saw and for what I just typed.
    your photos are beautiful and I enjoyed my quick trip and precise and to the point words about your native country. I did not know any of it. The only things I know about Canada is WHERE it is, that it gets really cold and people come to Florida in the winter to stay warm, they spend lots of money here because what ever they buy is cheaper than they can get it 'back home', that is straight from their mouth to my ears at my TOPS meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    It is important to see all the sides of any object... including the underside. Well done for taking that into your observation. One is grateful that the brighter side is dominant and there for us to turn to... Canada is beautiful - the Australia of the northern hemisphere 😉. And I have met that situation where visitors to a place I know and love (any of 'my three'), who like patients reading up on diseases before they visit the doctor, then proceed to ignore the voice of expertise! I am so glad you and mum got to make this trip - looking forward to more 'postcards'. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. You have shown and told us about the good, the bad, and the ugly but we hope most of it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PHOD AND LEE first of all I am all kinds of happy Lady and her Mom are home and I thank you for sharing your blog. Our trip to Alaska was flying into Fairbanks....we cruised back into Vancouver, had to run like the wind to catch a bus to the airport for our trip home. It was early morning so not to many sights. I recall the harbor and a very high pile of sulfur I think.
    I truly appreciate all the lovely photos of Vancouver. I did not realize there was such an opioid crises there.
    I look forward to many more photos
    Hugs Cecilia ps you were missed

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great photos and a great post! I have always wanted to see Vancouver - since my high school days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us along to see the beauty, and the beast, of Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a very nice trip. I'm sure it was great to share it with your Mum. I'm heading off on my big trip in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous gardens and trees.

    Seems like the opioid problem are everywhere. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is always beauty to be found amongst the sorrow. Thank you for sharing your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Thank you for all the wonderful photos of your trip to Vancouver. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!