Monday, June 12, 2023

Mischief Monday - Ear Troubles - by Phod

 Dear pals,

As you may recall, I am prone to ear infections and often this requires medical attention. This year I thought I would try something new with my ear. 

On Friday, while Lady was out of town, the Man noticed my left ear, wasn't pointy. On careful inspection he saw there was a fluid sac inside. It was kind of late and I seemed ok, so he left it. Lady got home very late and very tired and put my ear on the future project list.


The next day, Man called what is going to be our new clinic, to book an appointment. They could only see my Thursday, but suggested if it got worse I seek emergency attention. 

Well, yesterday, it was worse so after some planning, it was decided the Man would take me to our old clinic which is now 100% emergency services. First, I threw up in Lady's car. Next, I was anxious enough they gave me some meds to help me relax. I was not happy when the tech shoved a pill down my throat. To see if the drugs were working, they did a hug test. They gave me a hug and touched my ear, I passed it. 

Mostly, there was a lot of waiting. I was a good boy and told my Man when I needed to make a business trip and not just use the floor (although I would not have felt too bad about that). Man and I were very bored. 


Turns out I have a hematoma in my ear. I likely got it from shaking my head or scratching. They had to drain it. The vet said, for the next 10 days I need to keep my ear wrapped. In the first 15 minutes I was home, I unwrapped it four times. Lady and Man tried all the things, but I kept getting it off, so they have given up, apparently they have things to do other than wrap my ear). This also means no lake for 10 days. I am now the saddest boy ever!

Wrapped at the vet

On a positive note, I don't have an infection in my ears. I also got to meet a cat who meowed at me. I was gone for 6.5 hours and both the Man I were tired and hungry when we got back. It was not the kind of adventure either of us wanted.

Re-wrapped at home

If you have some extra POTP you could send that my ear heals fast, I would appreciate it. 

Your pal, Phod

 

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear, poor you Phod. All that business at the vet and NO LAKE for for a whole10 days. Disaster! Gail and I are sending a super strong dose of POTP and hoping for a rapid healing process.
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.
    PS I would like to point out that in wire-haired fox terriers, floppy ears are considered a Good Thing. But not if a haemotoma is involved, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Well, that's not the best of news, Phoddy dear... so I am definitely upping the POTP for you this week! Still - and adventure is an adventure, even if undesired! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh poor phod... no dog ear-ned such a thing... we send lots of potp and we hope it heals up completely and fast and without problems... POTP and BIG POTP

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have our paws crossed that your ear heals quickly. Be careful about taking your bandage off, Phod, because they might put the dreaded cone on your head, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Phod ... here's some paws together that your ear will heal up quickly ... being banned from
    swimming is not a happy thing ... and of course, your pawrents will be less stressed when that ear pops up straight again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very stressful news, Phod, and we send you lots of AireZen and healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're so sorry to hear about your ear problems, Phod. As owners of cocker spaniels over the past +25 years, we're very familiar with ear problems. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phod...that is a most stylish and nice color for bandage. Of course I send tons of healing thoughts to your ear and to the Staff in charge of caring for it
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Handsome Phod, we are very sorry to hear about the No Lake policy! And also about the bandage on your ear. We are sending many licks and wags, and lots of healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are sending lots of POTP in hopes your ear gets better real soon, Phoddy!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. How horrible. Sending you prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!