Thursday, June 8, 2023

Aging - by Phod

Dear pals,

Lady and Man have noticed that my age is really starting to show. I am 12 or 13 years old now (we pretend I am 12, but this makes me about 80 in human years), and have lived with my people for almost 11 years. Lee and I are our people's first old dogs as due to illness and accident our angel pack mates lived to 8 and 6 respectively. 

Lady is all the things about this. She is appreciative and filled with joy at being at this stage (how lucky is she to have had us in her life for so long) and devastated by it (who is she if she isn't Hailey and Zaphod's Lady and what does she do without us) and realistic (the circle of life, with great love comes great loss etc. etc.).  I am far less contemplative and more taking each day as I go. Lady is adapting this mindset too and while she is not pretending the future isn't coming, she is focusing more on the now. 

I sleep far more soundly then I ever have. Lady can leave the office and I don't even move. I also apparently snore more. 


I have a lot less stamina on walks, swimming and I really don't want to play fetch. My back end in particular seems stiff and I am more prone to tripping. I am also much slower and don't really run anymore. I am also prone to being a bit more anxious if there is any change in my routine. I am very set in my ways.


In spite of these challenges, I am still happy and active enough. Lady was really thinking about my aging as we were walking to the lake last week. It was the same day from the Trouble on Tuesday post, I had made it to the lake. Before my people could move the short anit-goose fence, I had jumped over it and was enjoying the water.  I may be an old man, but I still have some tricks in me! 

I heard my people tell Callie's people since this may be my last summer, I am going to get to go to the lake most days (weather permitting of course). So being old isn't such a bad thing.

Your senior pal, Phod

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    That's the way, Zaphod-elder, let each day run its play and worry not for the next, nor regret any behind. So many of my dear blog 'nephews and nieces' have reached or ar approaching their 'wings'... I understand Lady will be feeling as I do a certain melancholy. But there is joy to be had in the closing days, weeks, months and not a second should be lost! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy the moment... we love ya and we wish you da best of the best....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have told you in the past that you remind me of our Max, the good news is, he lived to 15 and I think you might to. of course it will be a slower living but still good. when people say, how can you get another dog knowing they might die. I say how did you get married, or have a child, knowing they might die. life without a dog is no life for us, we will live with the love and the pain of loss, I am watching Beau slowing down, he will be 10 in Oct but that is old for danes and he has his displasia , but hoping I am wrong in the changes, just like Lady is for you. you are loved and will be until the day you are gone. love you Phod

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are living your life to the fullest, Zaphod. Swimming is a good way to exercise those old bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PHOD darling handsome friend. One day at a time especially during these wonderful months w/o snow which is not a friend of any older being 2 or 4 legs
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you really love swimming then you should enjoy it every day that you can, Phod!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We think you found the perfect Lady and Man Phod, enjoy your lake time this Summer!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old dogs move slower because they carry the weight of all the love they have recieve d in their lives

    ReplyDelete
  9. We know that Lady will enjoy each day she has with you and Lee.
    Take care, dear Phod!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Phod, You could just change the name to Lightning and your post describes him perfectly. Do you have that nighttime thing where you get really out of it when the sun goes down?

    Lightning recently added gabapentin to his treatment regime, and it sure does make him sleepy:). But if it helps the arthritis in his hips and knees, that's OK.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phod, I'm the same way. It's tough getting old. Just enjoy each day as they come. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Handsome Phod, the same is happening to me. But it feels good to be in the Lake, doesn't it? Keep having a good life, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!