Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What Vet Techs Really Do

The Lady: As someone who has been a pet owner for 20 years - a week, and has lots of experience with the vet, I admit to not thinking enough about the Vet Techs. I am possibly biased because my vet is a family friend so I know him really, really well. Whatever the reason, I am happy to share this information about vet techs with everyone. 

Andrea from veterinarytechnicianguide.com

There is so much heart in pet owners parents. When they bring their Toby, Lola, Hailey or Zaphod, to our clinic, you can tell these are no ordinary pets, and they most definitely don’t have ordinary parents.
What you see is a true family coming to be seen by the Pet Doctor, AKA the Vet. And just with any family, problems at home can lead to problems with your pet.

This is significant, because many times when a golden retriever is refusing to eat or lost its spark, it could be a symptom of depression and not a disease.

We have seen quite a few cases such as these, and even we, as veterinary technicians, can tell if Toby is really sick or just depressed. This is just one of the things they don’t prepare you for when you are trying to choose a career as a vet tech.

The silver lining is that no matter how bad it can get with one patient, the sheer number of good people and animals that come our way, brighten our mood so much so that it is still the most amazing job I could have ever asked to be a part of.

We love hearing the pride in dog ladies and cat guys, it truly makes our day!

So if you love animals, and want to become a veterinary technician, make sure you go into this career with more than just your heart! :)


You can find out more info on what vet techs do in my main article.






20 comments:

  1. We often forget that the Vet Tech is the one that does a lot of the preliminary things and a lot of the 'clean up' jobs. We always make sure to give them extra thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting... the Vet Tech is so often overlooked
    I luffs No 6, 'Get a Morbid Sense of Humour'.......that one works in nearly(!) every situation!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vet techs are worth their weight in gold...........our vet has a couple of super vet techs!

    Hugs, Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that we have them ... they are there to dry our tears or they give us a hug when we sit on needles in the waiting room... and they have the treats in their pockets :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is a vet tech and the big shock for me was the medical training. It was absolutely the equivalent of an R.N. I think the infographic is great and echoes some of what she says about her job. She's been with the same clinic for around 10 years, and knows every client and patient by name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Indeed, they are the Nursing Sisters of PetWorld!!! Great post! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vet tech at our office has just been super helpful during my injury. Why she has taken a lot of time with Lee in showing her how to express my anal glands internally because that is only the true way you can completely empty them.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my vet tech and she loves me. As soon as she sees me, she gives me a big kiss, my vet doesn't do that.

    Arro to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your positive comments!

    And Amy, your are 100% right. Going to vet schools felt like I was studying to become an RN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Dogtor's Office has 3 VETS and 5 Vet TECHS..... and they are SUPER.... we love all the TECHS... They give KISSES and CUDDLES... don't furget that pawt...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post....and a great hats off to Vet Techs!!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so true...thank you for sharing this wif us, the next time we go see the frankenvet we will make sure to give extra fanks to the tech ....stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much we never thought about, thanks!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great post! When Greta died we sent a big pink flower arrangement to our vet's office as a thank you to everyone there who took care of her and tried so hard to save her. We really wanted them to know how much we appreciated them
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. We don't think about the Vet technicians much when we go to the vet. But we mostly go for a check up and they're in with animals who need more help. Dui goes in Friday for a check up, we'll take more notice of the technicians!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We know our vet techs work very hard. The worst thing they had to do to me was express my *whispering* anal glands. I felt sorry for the vet tech. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that vet techs make or break a clinic. I've loved almost all of the ones who have cared for my dogs - and I always try to tell them how much I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a good post. Ghostwriter can say almost the same about her job as a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I shared this infographic a little while back as well. Vet Techs are truly amazing people, and very underrated!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Cousins,

    We have some pawesome Vet Techs. Where sometimes Vet is rushes, our favourite Vet Techs take the time to scare us the least amount possible. Last time I had my blood stolen one of them lay down on the floor to do it so that I wouldn't have to climb up on the big scary table. Isn't that pawesome? Do you have pawesome Vet Techs too?

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!